Today we will study how to block a website on your device. Yes! It is likely that you may need to block some websites on your PC, what on earth the cause may be. Some websites are a storehouse of the virus, some criticize adult/mature content and some attempt to take your private data. Even if you know all the tips to stay away from such a website, it is not essential that the other being using your device has whole information about it. It would be well again to block some websites for alike circumstances.
There are a few methods to block a website. You can block a website on a meticulous browser, or the whole operating system, or on your network.
How to Block a Website in Windows 7?
The DNS system is well-thought-out the backbone of the Internet. Its job is to translate any website address into an IP address. You use a DNS server to browse whichever website, while your PC has HOSTS documentation, which stocks up these data on the local system. It can be used to block countless websites. We investigated this procedure on Windows 7 and Windows 8.
1. Make certain that you have the administrator right of entry to your computer. Sign in with an Administrator account on your PC then go to C: \ Windows \ System32 \ drivers \ etc.
2. Double-click on the file named as “hosts”, then choose Notepad from the list of programs to open the file. Then click on OK. Now on the last 2 lines on the notepad, you will see … “# 127.0.0.1 localhost” and “# :: 1 localhost”.
(a) If you are incapable to edit the file, then right-click on the file named hosts and then select the property. Click on the Security tab, select the Administrator account, and then click Edit.
(b)Select the account once again in the pop-up, then check full control. Click Apply> Yes. Now click on OK in all pop-ups.
3. Write the address of the website you want to block at the end of the file. To do this, add a line at the end of the file, first write 127.0.0.1, followed by the name of the website you want to block. By doing this the site name will be redirected to your computer.
4. To block Google, as an illustration, inscribe “127.0.0.1 www.google.com” at the ending of the file (don’t make use of the quotation mark). You can block numerous websites with this technique, but bear in mind that you can write only 1 website name on each line.
5. Repeat the above instructions until you have blocked all the websites as per your wish.
6. Then shut the host’s file and click on Save. Restart your PC for these changes to take upshot. After doing this, you will find that all the websites you want have been blocked.
How to Block a Website on MAC?
1. First, make sure you have administrator access to your Mac. Now open Terminal. You can locate it here- / Applications / Utilities / Terminal.
2. Simply type Sudo nano / etc / hosts, then press Enter. If asked for, then provide the login information.
3. Now, this file will open / etc / hosts in the text editor. Simply type the name of the website in a fresh line, its format must be “127.0.0.1 www.blockedwebsite.com”. For any website, you wish to block, type a line & then write the similar command, simply change the name of the website at the ending. After typing the name first press ctrl + x then Y, so that the file is saved.
4. After that give the command, sudo dscacheutil -flushcache and then pressing enter or restarting the machine can ensure that the websites are blocked.
Browser level block
Install Addon, then press ctrl + shift + a, and then click on the extensions shown in the left. Now click on the option inside BlockSite. After that click on add in the pop-up, then type the name of the website you want to block. Repeat this process until you have blocked all the websites you want. Finally, click on OK.
You can also provide password protection to BlockSite. By doing this, no one will be able to tamper with the blocked website list without your permission. To turn on the password, you have to select the options menu.
Let me tell you that BlockSite add-on is also available on Google Chrome.
As well as on Internet Explorer, you can with no trouble block a website. Follow the instructions below:
1st Open your browser, then visit tools (alt + x). After this in Internet choices. Now click on the Security tab and then press on the Restricted Sites icon in red. Then simply click on the Sites button underneath the icon.
Now simply type in the names of each and every website you want to block in the pop-up. After adding the name of each website, click on Add. When you have entered all the website names, click on Close and click OK in all windows. Now all these websites will not be visible on Internet Explorer.
On phone or tablet
How to Block a Website on the iPhone?
1. Go to Settings> General> Restrictions.
2. Tap on Enable Restrictions. Now set the passcards for restriction. It is better that you keep this passcode separate from the passcode created to unlock the phone.
3. After keeping up the passcode, go down and click on websites. Here you can think about banning adult content, or you can only allow access to the selected website.
4. Some selected websites only have a list of sites like Discovery Kids and Disney that can be accessed, but you can increase the name of the website further, just tap on Add a Website and enter the name of the website.
5. If you tap on Limit adult content then Apple blocks websites that are considered objectionable, but you can get access to any website, just you have to tap on Add a Website under Always Allow. And can blacklist it by tapping inside Never Allow.
6. If you try to access a blocked website, you will see a message saying that it is banned. Tap on Allow Website, then you can open this website by entering the Restriction Passcode.